my dad has been a lot gentler since my grandma died and he’s been saying stuff like “i wasn’t put on this earth to be prejudiced” and “i don’t want to meet allah w/ a heart full of hate” and it’s making me feel like maybe one day i can tell him that i’m queer :/
i mean it’s really hard to say cuz it’s one thing for him to say that kind of stuff and it’s another thing for him to prove it w/ his actions. like if he can make up for the last 19 years of homophobia and all the damage he has done to me emotionally somehow then maybe i can entertain the thought of telling him but i just want to have this little bit of hope ???
steve + looking at bucky
This post pretty much came about because I was asked if I had resources for Muslims who were discovering or newly coming to terms with their sexuality. I didn’t, and the poor advice I had to offer was … poor. So, I pulled up a few of the blogs I followed that are targeted towards queer Muslims, and put together this little post for you!
Queer Muslim Blogs:
- Ahwaa: An open space to debate LGBTQ-related issues in the Middle East
- ComingOutMuslim (check out their project here: [x])
- InQueeries channel with Yusef Woof (contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Salaam Canada
- Muslims Against Homophobia and LGBT Hate facebook group
- Totally Radical Muslim Zine
Queer Muslim 101:
- A quick gender/sexuality 101
- But what does a queer Muslim even look like? (hint: they look like people)
- Defining homonationalism and pinkwashing.
- PDF:Homosexuality In Islam, by Scott Siraj al-Haqq Kugle (Intro + 1st Chap) Buy your own copy!
- PDF:Muslim LGBT Inclusion Project, by Intersections International
- Why Safe Spaces are Important
- “I’m confused about my sexuality.”
- “I need proof from Qur’an and Sunnah that I’m not Haraam.”
- “What about the Qur’an and Hadith that chastise LGBT*Q Muslims?”
- Some hadiths can be read in different ways, so it’s best to look at the outcome.
- “Islam and LGBT* are not mutually exclusive.”
- “But I was taught Islam was the most heterosexist religion.” [tw: continuously moving background at the link]
- “But all Muslims are homophobic!” (spoiler alert: you’re wrong.)
- “But Muslims hate sex - it’s ~dirty~ to them!” (I would recommend this class for basic 101 on marriage and love [sex] in Islam. Take it with Basyouni.) (See also: x and x)
- “Love the sinner, hate the sin, and why that’s bullshit.”
- “Should I come out?” (spoiler alert: that’s up to you!)
- “Is there a place for LGBT*Q Muslims?” (Or “There’s no place for LGBT*Q Muslims/no organisations/no hope.”)
- “Will LGBT*Q Muslims go to hell?” (spoiler alert: I’m not God, how would I know?)
- “But it’s unnatural!” (lolk)
- “There aren’t any gay Imams or Sheikhs, so you’re just making things up!” (Also here.)
- “But no fatwa was made!” (It’s Wahabi.)
- A post about other Sheikhs’ opinions.
- “But there are no inclusive mosques for LGBT* Muslims!” (Just stop.)
- There is no place for homophobia in Islam.
- Let’s repeat that: There is no place for homophobia in Islam.
- Ayahs that talk about Prophet Lut.
- A closer reading of ayahs re: homosexuality (prev here but no longer).
- See also: You decide how you interpret your religion.
- Homosexuality in Sharia
- Homosexuality in Predominately Muslim Countries
- Predominately Muslim Countries who are taking steps toward equality. [x] [x]
- Same-sex marriage
- Queer Muslim Cinema: Azizah, Illuminations, Coming Out Muslim, A Jihad For Love, I Exist, Coming Out Muslim: Radical Acts of Love, Al-Nisa [BONUS: Show Al-Nisa and Red Summer (the producer) some love!], Circumstance, Naz + Maalik (Currently in production), Gay Muslims (a documentary produced by Channel 4 in the U.K), City of Borders, The Bubble, Out in the Dark (Palestinian and Israeli fall in love. facebook page).
- Queer Muslim Literature: [x] [x] [Gaylaxy magazine] [Bareed Mista3jil] [Totally Radical Muslims Zine]
- Desi LGBT*Q Hotline
- Queer Pakistan LGBT*Q Voice and Support Group [and here is a news article]
A good thing to remember is to avoid the self-hatred phase, if you can. Focus on loving yourself, and realising that Allah made you just the way you are, and that you are loved. If this phase is unavoidable, here are some helpful sites:
- Help! I’m losing my Islam
- Feeling suicidal?
- Suicide prevention
- Supporting someone who self-harms
- Suicide and Crisis Hotlines
- Online Crisis Network (for those with anxiety which prevents them from talking on the phone)
If you are from Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, or India and want to share your experiences (anonymously), please click here.
If you can spare some funds, help navigatethestream, a queer Muslim, become an Imam to help the Muslim LGBT* community!
Come on, look at my eyes. I’m dying, Sledge.
- Mike Brown’s mom laid flowers where he was shot and police let a dog pee on the memorial site
- “Stand Up Against Racism" demonstration outside US Embassy in London
- Police claim to have no records of arrests of journalists
- Illinois school bans discussions of Mike Brown’s death
- Gov. Nixon introduces new Public Safety Director
- Push for police to wear body cameras continues
- Jon Stewart on Ferguson
my twenty one pilots ticket finally came in the mail !! NICE!!!!!
Holy shit you’ve probably heard this before but you look like Sarah Paulson
ive actually been told that a few times on here!! i don’t see it but she is gr8 so it’s cool that people think that!
Chris Evans at the 2014 US Open tennis tournament in New York City (August 26, 2014)